Theatre Performances in 2019
Every Autumn, The Children’s Bookshow brings some of the best children’s authors from the UK and abroad to local theatre venues and gives teachers and school children the opportunity to hear world-class artists talk about their work.
We'd love you to come along!
Find out more about this year's theatre performances for schools:
- Alexis Deacon Performance, Wolverhampton, Thursday 3rd October
- Jessica Souhami Performance, London, Wednesday 9th October
- Daniel Morden Performance, Newcastle, Wednesday 16th October
- Michael Rosen's Margate performance, Margate, Wednesday 6th November
- Rachel Rooney Performance, Exeter, Wednesday 6th November
- Michael Rosen's Weymouth Performance, Weymouth, Monday 11th November
- Michael Rosen's Hull Performance, Hull, Wednesday 27th November
No performances near you this year?
Sign up to our newsletter to be the first to find out about our events next year:
More about our performances
Photos from previous events:
We give children the chance to experience an inspiring ‘live’ encounter with an artist. Our authors and illustrators talk about their working lives, show children the paint brushes and notebooks that they use, the tools and tricks of their trade, and in doing this, they offer children a real insight into what it means to work creatively. Feedback from children show their strong appetite for new and challenging experiences, their feeling of personal connection to the writers whom they have met, and their sense of being inspired by contact with creative artists. We want children to feel that great literature and art is for them; that they can engage with it, enjoy it and practise it.
View by year
Through reading in particular, pupils have a chance to develop culturally, emotionally, intellectually, socially and spiritually. Literature, especially, plays a key role in such development… Reading widely and often increases pupils’ vocabulary because they encounter words they would rarely hear or use in everyday speech. Reading also feeds pupils’ imagination and opens up a treasure-house of wonder and joy for curious minds.
Want to help more children attend events like these in the future?