Jo Empson's live digital performance
Jo Empson is an author and illustrator who loves to create beautiful books with depth and meaning, along with a sense of fun and surprise! During her hour-long live event, Jo will read you some of her beautiful and funny stories and give you a fascinating insight into the world of a picture book creator showing you how she makes her books. There will be time to ask Jo questions and she will also be drawing live. You could draw along with her too!
- Friday, 5th March 2021
- 1:30 pm
- Approx. 1 hour
- Age range:
- Years 1, 2 and 3
- FREE, but with limited places
How do digital performances work?
We will broadcast direct into your classroom, using the online platform Crowdcast. You don't need an account, just a link and a password which will be sent to you by The Children's Bookshow once you have registered with us for the event.
Jo Empson graduated from Cambridge School of Art with an MA in Children’s Book Illustration. During the course she created her first picture book Rabbityness which was published the following year in 2012 by Child’s Play International. Rabbityness celebrates being yourself, encourages creativity and very importantly, shows us how to come to terms with loss. It has been nominated for 8 awards, including the Kate Greenaway Medal. Jo has since gone on to write and illustrate several more beautiful picture books including Little Home Bird, Chimpanzees for Tea! and Jungle Jamboree.
Praise for Rabbityness
Highly original, this is a stunning debut picture book which celebrates creativity and difference while also serving as a touching introduction to the idea that people leave good things behind them even when they are no longer around.
Our digital events are easy to join, and can be watched on the whiteboard in the classroom. We use a platform called Crowdcast.
You can find a quick reference guide for the optimum Crowdcast experience here.
- We have limited free books to give away for use in the classroom. Sign up early for the chance to get a free copy for your school.
- Not in the classroom or self-isolating? We are live streaming the event to Youtube and when you register with us we can send you the link so children can watch the performance live at home. Or if the timings don't work for you don't worry. Register and we'll send you a recording of the event to watch when the time is right.
- During the live event there will be a 'chat' function available on Crowdcast where you will be able to comment and communicate.
- There will be the opportunity for teachers to ask questions using the 'Ask A Question' button on Crowdcast. We cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered during the event, but we'll do our best!
- Security disclaimer: the event will be password protected and available only to those who have registered with The Children's Bookshow directly. However, please note we cannot be held responsible for any views, questions or comments written in the chat.
Still have questions? You can find our FAQs here.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Katy Webster, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07904 068084