FREE copy of Tiny Blue, I Love You for EVERY child attending this performance!
Autumn performances 2022 › Coventry
Jo Empson performance
Join author and illustrator Jo Empson as she takes her audience on an underwater visual adventure, sharing her brand new picture books Tiny Blue, I Love You and The Sea Below My Toes. During the hour-long performance Jo will talk about how a trip to Australia and visiting the Little Penguins on Phillip Island inspired the books, interesting fun fishy facts she learnt whilst creating Tiny Blue, and how colours and textures of the natural world influence her artwork. With live drawing, stories and the chance to ask questions too, this event will offer children a fascinating insight into both the world of a picture book illustrator and the world beneath the waves.
- Warwick Arts Centre, University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7AL
- Wednesday 9th November
- 11:00 am
- Approx. 1 hour
- Age range:
- Years 1 and 2
- £6 per child, teachers FREE
Jo Empson graduated from Cambridge School of Art with an MA in Children’s Book Illustration. During the course she created her first picture book Rabbityness which was published the following year in 2012 by Child’s Play International. Rabbityness celebrates being yourself, encourages creativity and very importantly, shows us how to come to terms with loss. It has been nominated for 8 awards, including the Kate Greenaway Medal. Jo has since gone on to write and illustrate several more beautiful picture books including Little Home Bird, Chimpanzees for Tea! and Jungle Jamboree.
Praise for Rabbityness
Highly original, this is a stunning debut picture book which celebrates creativity and difference while also serving as a touching introduction to the idea that people leave good things behind them even when they are no longer around.
Book tickets for an event and receive two free books for your classroom
The Children’s Bookshow will allocate four free in-classroom workshops to schools attending this performance with 30 or more children. Book tickets for this event to have a chance of being chosen to receive this fantastic opportunity.
Find out more:
We feel it is so beneficial for our children to have the opportunity to meet authors and to hear them talk about their work. The children themselves are so enthusiastic about reading after these events that we feel they are an invaluable contribution towards our children becoming both skilled readers and lovers of reading.
- Please arrive at the venue at least 20 minutes before the start of the performance, so that you have enough time to find your seats and and use the bathroom. Our start times are strictly governed by the theatres that we work with and by the start and end times of the school day. If you are unavoidably delayed, please get in touch with your Children’s Bookshow contact as soon as possible.
- Depending on the time of the performance, you may want your children to bring a packed lunch. (Please contact the theatre directly to check if there is a suitable space.)
- Parking facilities vary from theatre to theatre; please check the theatre website for details.
- Please contact the theatre directly for risk assessment information.
- Please ensure your children have visited the bathroom before the show starts, or ask them to wait until after the performance ends. A constant stream of children getting up to go to the toilet is very distracting for our performers and other members of the audience.
Still have questions? You can find our FAQs here.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Sonia Monaghan, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07845 719030