2019 › Exeter
Rachel Rooney Performance
What is poetry? How does it make you feel? Where do the ideas for poems come from?
These are just some of the questions that poet Rachel Rooney will be investigating as she performs poems from her award-winning books The Language of Cat, My Life As a Goldfish and her most recently published collection, A Kid In My Class illustrated by Chris Riddell. This is a lively, interactive event with lots of opportunity for the audience to join in.
- Northcott Theatre, Stocker Road, Exeter, Devon EX4 4QB
- Wednesday, 6th November 2019
- 10:30 am
- Approx. 1 hour
- Age range:
- Years 4, 5 and 6
- £5 per child, teachers FREE
Rachel Rooney was born in London, the fifth of six children and now lives in Brighton, Sussex. She works as a special needs teacher, along with visiting schools for poetry workshops.
She has published two poetry collections for older children, The Language of Cat which won the 2012 CLPE Poetry Award, and My Life As a Goldfish. Her most recent book of poems, A Kid in my Class, is illustrated by former Children’s Laureate, Chris Riddell.
Praise for The Language of Cat
Rachel Rooney's poetry collection for children is a well-crafted, stimulating and un-patronising box of delights, always accessible and constantly inventive.
Book tickets for an event and receive two free books for your classroom!
The Children’s Bookshow will allocate four free in-classroom workshops to schools attending this performance with 30 or more children. Book tickets for this event to have a chance of being chosen to receive this fantastic opportunity.
Find out more:
It was lovely for the children to meet an author they have been studying.
- Please arrive at the venue at least 20 minutes before the start of the performance, so that you have enough time to find your seats and and use the bathroom. Our start times are strictly governed by the theatres that we work with and by the start and end times of the school day. If you are unavoidably delayed, please get in touch with your Children’s Bookshow contact as soon as possible.
- Don't forget! There will be a bookstall at this event and the opportunity after the performance for children to buy a book and have it signed by Rachel Rooney.
- Depending on the time of the performance, you may want your children to bring a packed lunch. (Please contact the theatre directly to check if there is a suitable space.)
- Parking facilities vary from theatre to theatre; please check the theatre website for details.
- Please contact the theatre directly for risk assessment information.
- Please ensure your children have visited the bathroom before the show starts, or ask them to wait until after the performance ends. A constant stream of children getting up to go to the toilet is very distracting for our performers and other members of the audience.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Liz Neville, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07866 311486