Each child attending the event will receive a FREE copy of Arlo The Lion Who Couldn't Sleep to take home and keep!
Spring performances 2024 › Rotherham
Library event 2 with Catherine Rayner
Bring your class to Mowbray Gardens Community Library to meet author and illustrator, Catherine Rayner. Children will love listening to Catherine share her award-winning picture books, and seeing the characters come to life as she draws live. With the chance to ask questions, this is a great opportunity to hear one of our most exciting picture book creators talk about her work.
After the library performance Catherine will come into your classroom and work with the children creatively. The work produced in this fun and engaging hands-on workshop will be put on display in Mowbray Gardens Community library for children and their families to come and see!
- Mowbray Gardens Community Library, 2 Mowbray Gardens, East Dene, Rotherham S65 2UH
- Friday 15th March
- 9:30 am
- 45 minutes
- Age range:
- Years 1 and 2
- £5 per child, teachers FREE
Award winning author and illustrator Catherine Rayner was born in Harrogate and now lives in Edinburgh. Much of her inspiration for her illustration comes from her pets, but the vision for her first picture book, Augustus and His Smile came from watching the tigers at Edinburgh Zoo! Her book, Arlo The Lion Who Couldn't Sleep shortlisted for the 2021 Kate Greenaway Medal and her latest title, Five Bears will be published in June 2022.
Praise of Sylvia and Bird
“Catherine Rayner has a marvellous gift for capturing the souls of animals in a few, rich washes of colour.”
The Children’s Bookshow will allocate two free in-classroom workshops to schools attending this event with 30 or more children. Book tickets for this event to have a chance of being chosen to receive this fantastic opportunity.
The author was a very suitable choice for the age group: she broke up the hour show into shorter segments to try and hold the attention of the younger children. The workshop was brilliant.
- Please arrive at the venue at least 20 minutes before the start of the performance, so that you have enough time to find your seats and and use the bathroom. Our start times are strictly governed by the theatres that we work with and by the start and end times of the school day. If you are unavoidably delayed, please get in touch with your Children’s Bookshow contact as soon as possible.
- Depending on the time of the performance, you may want your children to bring a packed lunch. (Please contact the theatre directly to check if there is a suitable space.)
- Parking facilities vary from theatre to theatre; please check the theatre website for details.
- Please contact the theatre directly for risk assessment information.
- Please ensure your children have visited the bathroom before the show starts, or ask them to wait until after the performance ends. A constant stream of children getting up to go to the toilet is very distracting for our performers and other members of the audience.
Still have questions? You can find our FAQs here.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Jo Daley, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07769 216493