Every child attending this performance will receive a FREE copy of My Grandpa to take home and keep!
Autumn performances 2023 › Milton Keynes
Marta Altés performance
Author and illustrator Marta Altés, creator of brilliant picture books for children including My Grandpa and Five More Minutes, will be talking to children about her work, showing the audience her brilliant and funny illustrations, reading her stories and revealing how she goes about creating her books. With the chance to ask questions and watch Marta draw live on stage this interactive and fun performance will spark children’s imaginations and encourage them to read, write and draw!
- The Stables, Stockwell Lane, Wavendon, Milton Keynes, MK17 8LU
- Monday 13th November
- 11:00 am
- Approx. 1 hour
- Age range:
- Years 1 and 2
Marta Altés is a Spanish award-winning creator of many picture books. She studied graphic design in Barcelona and then an MA in Book Illustration at the Cambridge School of Art where she now teaches. Her touching story of the relationship between a grandfather and his grandson in her picture book My Grandpa won the Jack Ezra Keats New Illustrator Honour in the USA.
Praise for My Grandpa
Altés employs an elegant restraint with the book’s design. The limited palette and broad expanse of white space allow the story to truly shine. Even though titles about ageing grandparents are many, this tale stands out for its stunning simplicity and avoidance of heavy-handed messages.
Book tickets for an event and receive two free books for your classroom
The Children’s Bookshow will allocate four free in-classroom workshops to schools attending this performance with 30 or more children. Book tickets for this event to have a chance of being chosen to receive this fantastic opportunity.
Find out more:
We feel it is so beneficial for our children to have the opportunity to meet authors and to hear them talk about their work. The children themselves are so enthusiastic about reading after these events that we feel they are an invaluable contribution towards our children becoming both skilled readers and lovers of reading.
- Please arrive at the venue at least 20 minutes before the start of the performance, so that you have enough time to find your seats and and use the bathroom. Our start times are strictly governed by the theatres that we work with and by the start and end times of the school day. If you are unavoidably delayed, please get in touch with your Children’s Bookshow contact as soon as possible.
- Depending on the time of the performance, you may want your children to bring a packed lunch. (Please contact the theatre directly to check if there is a suitable space.)
- Parking facilities vary from theatre to theatre; please check the theatre website for details.
- Please contact the theatre directly for risk assessment information.
- Please ensure your children have visited the bathroom before the show starts, or ask them to wait until after the performance ends. A constant stream of children getting up to go to the toilet is very distracting for our performers and other members of the audience.
Still have questions? You can find our FAQs here.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Katy Webster, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07904 068084