FREE copy of Town Is By The Sea for every child attending this performance!
Theatre performances autumn 2021 › Exeter
Sydney Smith Performance
The award winning author and illustrator Sydney Smith, is coming all the way from Canada to Exeter to talk to us about his life and work as an illustrator. Find out how he creates his pictures, listen to him read his books Small In The City and Town Is By The Sea and look at his exquisite illustrations on a large screen as he tells you the stories. With the chance to watch Sydney draw live on stage and ask him questions, this event will inspire children to read, write and draw!
- Northcott Theatre, Stocker Road, Exeter, Devon EX4 4QB
- Tuesday 9th November
- 10:30 am
- Approx. 1 hour
- Age range:
- Years 2,3 and 4
- £6 per child, teachers FREE
Sydney Smith is an award-winning Canadian illustrator and author. He was born in rural Nova Scotia and started drawing at an early age. Since graduating from NSCAD University, he has illustrated multiple children’s books, including Town Is by the Sea, the winner of the 2017 Kate Greenaway Medal, and the acclaimed Footpath Flowers, which was a New York Times Children’s Book of the Year and a winner of the Governor General Award for Illustration.
Praise for Town is By the Sea
Sydney Smith’s profoundly beautiful, evocative illustrations are breathtaking and perfectly in harmony with Schwartz’s lyrical text... picture books don’t get much better than this one.
EVERY child attending will receive a FREE book to take home and keep
The Children’s Bookshow will allocate four free in-classroom workshops to schools attending this performance with 30 or more children. Book tickets for this event to have a chance of being chosen to receive this fantastic opportunity.
Find out more:
We feel it is so beneficial for our children to have the opportunity to meet authors and to hear them talk about their work. The children themselves are so enthusiastic about reading after these events that we feel they are an invaluable contribution towards our children becoming both skilled readers and lovers of reading.
- Please arrive at the venue at least 20 minutes before the start of the performance, so that you have enough time to find your seats and and use the bathroom. Our start times are strictly governed by the theatres that we work with and by the start and end times of the school day. If you are unavoidably delayed, please get in touch with your Children’s Bookshow contact as soon as possible.
- Depending on the time of the performance, you may want your children to bring a packed lunch. (Please contact the theatre directly to check if there is a suitable space.)
- Parking facilities vary from theatre to theatre; please check the theatre website for details.
- Please contact the theatre directly for risk assessment information.
- Please ensure your children have visited the bathroom before the show starts, or ask them to wait until after the performance ends. A constant stream of children getting up to go to the toilet is very distracting for our performers and other members of the audience.
Still have questions? You can find our FAQs here.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Katy Webster, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07904 068084