Catherine Johnson in conversation, live with Nicolette Jones
Award-winning author Catherine Johnson will be talking live to the brilliant interviewer Nicolette Jones. They will be discussing Catherine's life and work as a writer and focusing on Catherine's exciting book Race to the Frozen North - the tale of Matt Henson, who was one of the first men to reach the North Pole but has been almost completely written out of history because of the colour of his skin. Join us for what promises to be a fascinating event, and you might get the chance to ask Catherine questions too.
- Thursday, 4th March 2021
- 11:00 am
- Approx. 1 hour
- Age range:
- Years 5 and 6
- FREE, but with limited places
How do digital performances work?
We will broadcast direct into your classroom, using the online platform Crowdcast. You don't need an account, just a link and a password which will be sent to you by The Children's Bookshow once you have registered with us for the event.
Catherine Johnson is a screen-writer and best-selling author, born in London in 1962. Her dad was from Jamaica, and her mum was Welsh. She has written many award-winning books for young readers, and is keen to tell the untold stories of characters who have been forgotten.
Praise for Freedom
A brilliant, meaningful gem of a novel
Nicolette Jones, is a writer, journalist, literary critic and broadcaster, and has been the children’s books reviewer of the Sunday Times for more than two decades. A Royal Literary Fund Fellow, and a nominee for the 2012 Eleanor Farjeon Award for outstanding service to the world of children’s books, she is an experienced book prize judge and professional chair of literary events. She has worked with us at The Children's Bookshow for many years, and interviewees have included Judith Kerr, John Burningham, Hilary McKay, Maria Parr and Stefan Casta.
Praise for Nicolette
Nicolette doesn’t just bring out the best in her speakers; she somehow also manages to bring out the best in the audience as well, and that enriches the event for everyone.
Our digital events are easy to join, and can be watched on the whiteboard in the classroom. We use a platform called Crowdcast.
You can find a quick reference guide for the optimum Crowdcast experience here.
- We have limited free books to give away for use in the classroom. Sign up early for the chance to get a free copy for your school.
- Not in the classroom or self-isolating? We are live streaming the event to Youtube and when you register with us we can send you the link so children can watch the performance live at home. Or if the timings don't work for you don't worry. Register and we'll send you a recording of the event to watch when the time is right.
- During the live event there will be a 'chat' function available on Crowdcast where you will be able to comment and communicate.
- There will be the opportunity for teachers to ask questions using the 'Ask A Question' button on Crowdcast. We cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered during the event, but we'll do our best!
- Security disclaimer: the event will be password protected and available only to those who have registered with The Children's Bookshow directly. However, please note we cannot be held responsible for any views, questions or comments written in the chat.
Still have questions? You can find our FAQs here.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Marian Keen-Downs, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07572 825704