2019 › London
Catharina Valckx, author and illustrator both, who catapulted to fame in the English speaking world with gems such as Bruno, the story of days in the life of a zany little cat, will be bringing her unique brand of humour to L'Institut Francais. Drawing her out about Bruno and also her new book Zanzibar (published in summer 2019 by Gecko Press) about an ambitious crow who "wants to be remarkable, by achieving something out of the ordinary", will be award winning translator Sarah Ardizzone. Prepare yourselves for much laughter and admiration too, as Catharina will show off her equally wonderful drawing skills by drawing live on stage for the audience's delight.
- Institut Français, 17 Queensberry Place, London SW7 2DT
- Thursday, 21st November 2019
- 10:30 am
- Approx. 1 hour
- Age range:
- Years 2 and 3
- £5 per child, teachers FREE
Catharina Valckx was born in 1957 in The Netherlands but moved to France when she was young and lived in a small village in the suburbs of Paris with her four sisters. Since 1997 she has written over 30 books for children including Bruno and Zanzibar and in 2011 she was nominated for the prestigious Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award.
Praise for Bruno
This surreal yet sincere French import is one of the more interesting books in my life so far.
Book tickets for an event and receive two free books for your classroom!
The Children’s Bookshow will allocate four free in-classroom workshops to schools attending this performance with 30 or more children. Book tickets for this event to have a chance of being chosen to receive this fantastic opportunity.
Find out more:
We feel it is so beneficial for our children to have the opportunity to meet authors and to hear them talk about their work. The children themselves are so enthusiastic about reading after these events that we feel they are an invaluable contribution towards our children becoming both skilled readers and lovers of reading.
- Please arrive at the venue at least 20 minutes before the start of the performance, so that you have enough time to find your seats and and use the bathroom. Our start times are strictly governed by the theatres that we work with and by the start and end times of the school day. If you are unavoidably delayed, please get in touch with your Children’s Bookshow contact as soon as possible.
- Don't forget! There will be a bookstall at this event and the opportunity after the performance for children to buy a book and have it signed by Catharina Valckx.
- Depending on the time of the performance, you may want your children to bring a packed lunch. (Please contact the theatre directly to check if there is a suitable space.)
- Parking facilities vary from theatre to theatre; please check the theatre website for details.
- Please contact the theatre directly for risk assessment information.
- Please ensure your children have visited the bathroom before the show starts, or ask them to wait until after the performance ends. A constant stream of children getting up to go to the toilet is very distracting for our performers and other members of the audience.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Julia Bayton, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07980 570975