2018 › Bristol
Valerie Bloom Performance
Children will be thrilled by this exuberant and interactive poetry performance by Valerie Bloom. Valerie is an outstanding performer who delights in being on stage. You will find yourself at the market, bargaining Jamaican-style for groceries, or balancing an imaginary tray on your head and swaying as you sing the cake seller’s song.
Think ripe bananas and fresh callaloo, jerk chicken and rice an’ peas. This performance bursts with fun and flavour!
- Bristol Hippodrome, St Augustine's Parade, Bristol BS1 4UZ
- Friday, 19th October 2018
- 11:00 am
- Approx. 1 hour
- Age range:
- Years 4, 5 and 6
- £5 per child, teachers FREE
Valerie Bloom was born in Jamaica and came to England in 1979. She writes poetry in English and Jamaican patois for all ages, and has performed her work throughout the world, with many television and radio appearances. Her poetry is included in a number of anthologies and she tutors regularly for schools and colleges.
'She is a mighty performer of her poems on stage, but she is first and foremost a writer, and her poems on the page are a tribute to her skill.'
Book tickets for an event and receive two free books for your classroom!
The Children’s Bookshow will allocate four free in-classroom poetry workshops to schools attending this performance with 30 or more children. Each child participating will receive a free book to take home and keep. Book tickets for this event to have a chance of being chosen to receive this fantastic opportunity.
Find out more:
Listening to Valerie Bloom in the Liverpool Philharmonic building was mesmerising for our children – it is something that they would be unable to experience otherwise.
- Please arrive at the venue at least 20 minutes before the start of the performance, so that you have enough time to find your seats and and use the bathroom. Our start times are strictly governed by the theatres that we work with and by the start and end times of the school day. If you are unavoidably delayed, please get in touch with your Children’s Bookshow contact as soon as possible.
- Don't forget! There will be a bookstall at this event and the opportunity after the performance for children to buy a book and have it signed by Valerie Bloom.
- Depending on the time of the performance, you may want your children to bring a packed lunch. (Please contact the theatre directly to check if there is a suitable space.)
- Parking facilities vary from theatre to theatre; please check the theatre website for details.
- Please contact the theatre directly for risk assessment information.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Jo Daley, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07769 216493