2018 › Oxford
Viviane Schwarz and Gitte Spee Performance
Two great European illustrators of children’s books Viviane Schwarz and Gitte Spee will talk about their work, share their stories and show the audience how they create pictures to go with the words.
Come and hear these illustrators talk about their creative process and watch them draw live on stage. With plenty of opportunity for audience participation and for children to ask questions this event will delight and inspire children to read and draw.
- Museum of Natural History, Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3PW
- Monday, 24th September 2018
- 11:00 am
- Approx. 1 hour
- Age range:
- Years 2 and 3
- £5 per child, teachers FREE
Gitte Spee was born on the island of Java in Indonesia and moved to the Netherlands when she was eleven. At first Gitte illustrated books for lots of other writers but after a while she started to write herself. She found that she enjoyed this the most as when she writes and draws she can create a unique world. Her most well known books include Mr. Big, Monkey and Mole and the Inspector Gordon series written by Ulf Nilsson.
Praise for the Inspector Gordon series
Beautifully written with gentle humour and compassion. The colour illustrations by Gitte Spee capture the mood of the tale perfectly; her squirrels are full of exuberance, Gordon is world-weary and Buffy is refreshingly enthusiastic. The result is an ideal introduction for young readers to the world of novels.
Viviane Schwarz makes books, comics and games. She was born in Germany and studied American Literature and Linguistics at Bonn university before moving to England and studying illustration at Falmouth College of Arts. She has written and illustrated over a dozen picture books and a graphic novel as well as designing games and interactive installations.
Praise for How to Find Gold
Schwarz’s illustrations are truly lovely, from the simple lines of the characters to the stunning double spreads of the discovery itself. This story celebrates the imagination, play and adventure – children (and adults) will be behind Anna and Crocodile all the way.
Book tickets for an event and receive two free books for your classroom!
The Children’s Bookshow will allocate four free in-classroom workshops to schools attending this performance with 30 or more children. Each child participating will receive a free book to take home and keep. Book tickets for this event to have a chance of being chosen to receive this fantastic opportunity.
Find out more:
We feel it is so beneficial for our children to have the opportunity to meet authors and to hear them talk about their work. The children themselves are so enthusiastic about reading after these events that we feel they are an invaluable contribution towards our children becoming both skilled readers and lovers of reading.
- Please arrive at the venue at least 20 minutes before the start of the performance, so that you have enough time to find your seats and and use the bathroom. Our start times are strictly governed by the theatres that we work with and by the start and end times of the school day. If you are unavoidably delayed, please get in touch with your Children’s Bookshow contact as soon as possible.
- Don't forget! There will be a bookstall at this event and the opportunity after the performance for children to buy a book and have it signed by Gitte Spee and Viviane Schwarz.
- Depending on the time of the performance, you may want your children to bring a packed lunch. (Please contact the theatre directly to check if there is a suitable space.)
- Parking facilities vary from theatre to theatre; please check the theatre website for details.
- Please contact the theatre directly for risk assessment information.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Julia Bayton, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07980 570975