Theatre performances autumn 2021 › Crewe
Alexis Deacon Performance
An image starts to take shape on the screen as the artistʼs pen moves across the page, and a ripple of excitement runs through the audience. Is it a bird? Is it a monster? Could it be a little alien far from home?
Acclaimed picture book author and illustrator Alexis Deacon works his magic as he draws live for the children, reads some of his memorable stories, and talks about how he came to be an author and artist.
Every child attending this event will receive a free copy of Beegu
- Lyceum Theatre, Heath St, Crewe CW1 2DA
- Monday 18th October
- 10:30 am
- Approx. 1 hour
- Age range:
- Years 1, 2 and 3
- £6 per child, teachers FREE
Alexis Deacon has always loved to draw and has been keeping sketchbooks since he was a small child, when he would often move from playing games with toys into drawing stories about them.
Alexis started work on his first picture book, Slow Loris, while studying illustration at the University of Brighton. He spent many hours in a zoo sketching a slow loris and then created the story of the creature's secret life after the visitors had gone home. Alexis' second book, Beegu, about a lonely baby alien trying to find its mother on Earth, was shortlisted for the Kate Greenaway Medal.
Alexis Deacon may well be Burningham's heir apparent . . . Deacon's poignant and understated text is brilliantly served by his illustrations, which carry distant reminders of some of the best illustrators of the last 100 years and yet still remain uniquely his own.
EVERY child attending will receive a FREE book to take home and keep
The Children’s Bookshow will allocate four free in-classroom workshops to schools attending this performance with 30 or more children. Book tickets for this event to have a chance of being chosen to receive this fantastic opportunity.
Find out more:
The kids and adults from Merridale loved it!
Alexis was great with the children and what he did was pitched and shown brilliantly. He allowed us to have a photo with him and did some signings for us!! What a treat!
- Please arrive at the venue at least 20 minutes before the start of the performance, so that you have enough time to find your seats and and use the bathroom. Our start times are strictly governed by the theatres that we work with and by the start and end times of the school day. If you are unavoidably delayed, please get in touch with your Children’s Bookshow contact as soon as possible.
- Depending on the time of the performance, you may want your children to bring a packed lunch. (Please contact the theatre directly to check if there is a suitable space.)
- Parking facilities vary from theatre to theatre; please check the theatre website for details.
- Please contact the theatre directly for risk assessment information.
- Please ensure your children have visited the bathroom before the show starts, or ask them to wait until after the performance ends. A constant stream of children getting up to go to the toilet is very distracting for our performers and other members of the audience.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Marian Keen-Downs, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07572 825704