2019 › Ipswich
Jon Agee Performance
In this playful and fun event Jon Agee will take centre stage and draw live for the audience, telling stories from his books and improvising pictures with imaginative suggestions from the children. He will talk about his new book, The Wall in the Middle of the Book, a funny and thought-provoking story of false perceptions and preconceived notions. The main character, a little knight, thinks that the wall keeps him safe, but we soon realise that he’s in for a surprise. Jon will describe his process of creating a book: how he conceives a story, the way it evolves, what happens if he hits a snag, where he finds inspiration, and how he frees up his imagination – all vital knowledge for budding young authors and illustrators!
- New Wolsey Theatre, Ipswich, IP1 2AS
- Thursday, 10th October 2019
- 10:30 am
- Approx. 1 hour
- Age range:
- Years 2 and 3
- £5 per child, teachers FREE
Jon Agee is the well known author and illustrator of over 30 picture books including Terrific, Milo’s Hat Trick and most recently the acclaimed, The Wall in the Middle of the Book. He grew up in Nyack, New York, just up the street from the Hudson River. As a child he always had an art project on the go. He made picture books, comics, and – as a ten-year old, living in England – flip-books out of London tube ticket stubs. His fascination with language led to a slew of wordplay books, including four collections of palindromes, most notably: Go Hang a Salami! I’m a Lasagna Hog!
Praise for The Wall in the Middle of the Book
This picturebook from the launch list of Scallywag Press demonstrates how much can be done with few words and simple pictures… The book also has a wider resonance: about demonising strangers, preconceived ideas and the folly of a wall.
Book tickets for an event and receive two free books for your classroom!
The Children’s Bookshow will allocate four free in-classroom workshops to schools attending this performance with 30 or more children. Book tickets for this event to have a chance of being chosen to receive this fantastic opportunity.
Find out more:
We feel it is so beneficial for our children to have the opportunity to meet authors and to hear them talk about their work. The children themselves are so enthusiastic about reading after these events that we feel they are an invaluable contribution towards our children becoming both skilled readers and lovers of reading.
- Please arrive at the venue at least 20 minutes before the start of the performance, so that you have enough time to find your seats and and use the bathroom. Our start times are strictly governed by the theatres that we work with and by the start and end times of the school day. If you are unavoidably delayed, please get in touch with your Children’s Bookshow contact as soon as possible.
- Don't forget! There will be a bookstall at this event and the opportunity after the performance for children to buy a book and have it signed by Jon Agee.
- Depending on the time of the performance, you may want your children to bring a packed lunch. (Please contact the theatre directly to check if there is a suitable space.)
- Parking facilities vary from theatre to theatre; please check the theatre website for details.
- Please contact the theatre directly for risk assessment information.
- Please ensure your children have visited the bathroom before the show starts, or ask them to wait until after the performance ends. A constant stream of children getting up to go to the toilet is very distracting for our performers and other members of the audience.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Liz Neville, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07866 311486