2019 › Manchester
Guo Yue and Clare Farrow Performance
Internationally acclaimed musician Guo Yue and his writer wife Clare Farrow collaborated to write their award-winning book, Little Leap Forward, a gentle, lyrical story about friendship and freedom, inspired by Yue’s own childhood during the Chinese Cultural Revolution.
Based on their book, Clare and Yue have created a magical hour-long performance that uses a captivating blend of readings, artefacts and live music to tell how Yue grew up in the alleys and courtyards of Beijing. The show is about the power and beauty of words, music, imagination and individual creativity and brings to life a segment of the history of modern China.
Don’t miss this enthralling performance that will leave teachers and children moved and inspired in equal measure.
Special Offer! Every child attending this performance will get a free copy of Little Leap Forward (RRP £7.99) to take home and keep!
- HOME, 2 Tony Wilson Place, Manchester M15 4FN
- Wednesday, 2nd October 2019
- 10:30 am
- Approx. 1 hour
- Age range:
- Years 4, 5 and 6
- £5 per child, teachers FREE
Clare Farrow & Guo Yue
Guo Yue was born in 1958 in Beijing, China. One of six children, and the son of a violinist, he grew up in a traditional courtyard. In 1982 he came to study the silver flute at the Guildhall School of Music, London. As a musician, Yue has travelled extensively, making recordings and playing on film soundtracks (including The Last Emperor).
Clare Farrow, a freelance arts writer, met Yue in 1994. Their first book Music, Food and Love was published in 2006. Little Leap Forward is their first book for children. Clare has curated the exhibition Childhood Recollections: Memory in Design on the theme of childhood, which was shown at the Roca London Gallery in 2015, and most recently, Timber Rising: Vertical Visions for the Cities of Tomorrow.
Quote in praise of Little Leap Forward
One of the many pleasures of this moving story…is its depiction of how a musical child experiences the world as a symphony of sounds… Yue and Farrow… evoke how Little Leap Forward bears witness with the eye of a poet, the ear of a musician and the transformative imagination of a storyteller.
Book tickets for an event and receive two free books for your classroom!
The Children’s Bookshow will allocate four free in-classroom workshops to schools attending this performance with 30 or more children. Book tickets for this event to have a chance of being chosen to receive this fantastic opportunity.
Find out more:
What we loved about the show: it broadened the children's understanding of different cultures; the music in the performance was amazing; each child got a copy of the book to take home to read.
- Please arrive at the venue at least 20 minutes before the start of the performance, so that you have enough time to find your seats and and use the bathroom. Our start times are strictly governed by the theatres that we work with and by the start and end times of the school day. If you are unavoidably delayed, please get in touch with your Children’s Bookshow contact as soon as possible.
- Depending on the time of the performance, you may want your children to bring a packed lunch. (Please contact the theatre directly to check if there is a suitable space.)
- Parking facilities vary from theatre to theatre; please check the theatre website for details.
- Please contact the theatre directly for risk assessment information.
- Please ensure your children have visited the bathroom before the show starts, or ask them to wait until after the performance ends. A constant stream of children getting up to go to the toilet is very distracting for our performers and other members of the audience.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Jo Daley, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07769 216493