Each child attending a workshop will receive a FREE copy of Rabbityness to take home and keep!
Jo Empson Workshop
The Children’s Bookshow allocates four free workshops for schools who attend a related theatre performance. Each child participating receives a free book to take home and keep.
Jo Empson will start her creative workshop by giving children an insight into all the steps that go into making a picture book; ideas, showing sketchbooks, small mock-up books for each of the stages and talking about the marriage between words and pictures. Then there will be a hands-on creative activity where children will make their own flying Little Bird characters. At the end of the workshop all the children's colourful birds will be displayed together to create a flock of migrating birds flying across their classroom wall.
- Suitable for:
- Years 2 and 3
The children got their books today - they were so excited, we put in the book plates that you gave us, the children even took the books outside during playtime today to share the poems with their friends!!
What you need to know
- Length of workshop:
- Approx. 1 hour 15 minutes
- Location of workshop:
- We will come to your school
- Number of children:
- Workshops are for a class of 30 children
- Suitable for:
- Years 2 and 3
Please note, a teacher must be present throughout the workshop
- Flipchart or whiteboard
- Supplied bird templates which can be either photocopied or printed out
- Coloured pencils, crayons or felt tips pens
- Magazines/coloured paper for collage
- Glue sticks
- Fishing wire (will be supplied)
Book a related theatre performance to be eligible for one of four free workshops
This workshop is allocated to a school attending a specific theatre performance with 30 or more children; visit the performance page to find out more and book:
Are these performances not in your area? See a list of all our events
About Jo Empson
Jo Empson graduated from Cambridge School of Art with an MA in Children’s Book Illustration. During the course she created her first picture book Rabbityness which was published the following year in 2012 by Child’s Play International. Rabbityness celebrates being yourself, encourages creativity and very importantly, shows us how to come to terms with loss. It has been nominated for 8 awards, including the Kate Greenaway Medal. Jo has since gone on to write and illustrate several more beautiful picture books including Little Home Bird, Chimpanzees for Tea! and Jungle Jamboree.
On the day
- Please inform your school receptionist that our artist will be arriving so they can be welcomed warmly.
- A teacher must be present throughout the workshop.
- Make sure that all the materials that our artist has requested are ready and available.
- Please let us know if any of the children have particular requirements, and ensure that their normal carer is present.
- Check that the free books accompanying the workshop have arrived. These books are for the children to take home and keep, and they may like to ask nicely for them to be signed.
- The offer of a cup of tea is often greatly appreciated!
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Katy Webster, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07904 068084