Autumn performances 2023 › Newcastle
John Agard and Grace Nichols performance
Come and join us for a morning of poetry with lyrical geniuses John Agard and Grace Nichols live on stage at The Theatre Royal in Newcastle. Agard and Nichol's poems have been long-standing features on the National Curriculum and their work is hugely popular with school children and teachers across the country. They have both been recipients of the highly lauded Queen’s Medal for Poetry as well as many other awards. Grace Nichols is a winner of the prestigious Commonwealth Poetry Prize and in 2021, John Agard was awarded the BookTrust Lifetime Achievement Award for his outstanding contribution to children’s literature.
Don’t miss this thrilling opportunity for children to engage with two of the best contemporary poets at an event presented in association with literature producers Renaissance One.
This will be an exhilarating, playful, and thought provoking performance full of delight.
Every child attending this performance will receive a FREE book by either John Agard or Grace Nichols to take home and keep!
- Theatre Royal, Newcastle, NE1 6BR
- Friday 17th November
- 10:30 am
- Approx. 1 hour
- Age range:
- Years 5 and 6
John Agard is one of the most exciting, energetic and spellbinding readers you’ll ever hear, breathing passion and energy into each of his poems when he speaks them aloud. Born in British Guiana (now Guyana) in the Caribbean, John moved to Britain in the 1970’s and has written lots about what it was like to leave home. He now lives in Sussex with his wife, fellow poet (and Children’s Bookshow performer) Grace Nichols.
Award-winning poet Grace Nichols was born in Guyana and grew up in a small country village on the coast, but moved to the UK in 1977. Grace writes poems for adults and children, that are full of imagination and surprise, warmth and wit, and she has won lots of prizes and awards.
Book tickets for an event and receive two free books for your classroom
The Children’s Bookshow will allocate four free in-classroom workshops to schools attending this performance with 30 or more children. Book tickets for this event to have a chance of being chosen to receive this fantastic opportunity.
We feel it is so beneficial for our children to have the opportunity to meet authors and to hear them talk about their work. The children themselves are so enthusiastic about reading after these events that we feel they are an invaluable contribution towards our children becoming both skilled readers and lovers of reading.
- Please arrive at the venue at least 20 minutes before the start of the performance, so that you have enough time to find your seats and and use the bathroom. Our start times are strictly governed by the theatres that we work with and by the start and end times of the school day. If you are unavoidably delayed, please get in touch with your Children’s Bookshow contact as soon as possible.
- Depending on the time of the performance, you may want your children to bring a packed lunch. (Please contact the theatre directly to check if there is a suitable space.)
- Parking facilities vary from theatre to theatre; please check the theatre website for details.
- Please contact the theatre directly for risk assessment information.
- Please ensure your children have visited the bathroom before the show starts, or ask them to wait until after the performance ends. A constant stream of children getting up to go to the toilet is very distracting for our performers and other members of the audience.
Still have questions? You can find our FAQs here.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Katy Webster, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07904 068084