2018 › Newcastle
Patrick Benson Performance
How do you take an authorʼs words and turn them into pictures? How do you decide which moments in a story to illustrate? How do you capture the mood of a story in images? This is the job of award-winning illustrator Patrick Benson, who has worked with some of the finest childrenʼs writers - including Roald Dahl. Join us as Patrick talks about the creative process involved in illustrating The Minpins, Roald Dahlʼs last childrenʼs story, it's sure to be an inspiring event in Newcastle’s beautiful Theatre Royal.
- Theatre Royal, Newcastle, NE1 6BR
- Tuesday, 6th November 2018
- 11:00 am
- Approx. 1 hour
- Age range:
- Years 4, 5 and 6
- £5 per child, teachers FREE
Patrick Benson was born in 1956 and educated at Eton College before studying classical drawing in Florence and attending Chelsea Art School and St Martin’s School of Art. He worked in the fashion business until a chance meeting with the sister of Walker Books’ founder, Sebastian Walker, led him into a career in illustration.
He is best known for illustrating two modern classics: Owl Babies, written by Martin Waddell, and The Minpins by Roald Dahl.
In praise of Owl Babies
Touchingly beautiful ... Drawn with exquisite delicacy ... The perfect picture book.
Book tickets for an event and receive two free books for your classroom!
The Children’s Bookshow will allocate four free in-classroom workshops to schools attending this performance with 30 or more children. Each child participating will receive a free book to take home and keep. Book tickets for this event to have a chance of being chosen to receive this fantastic opportunity.
Find out more:
The event was extremely well organised with plenty of information up front which helps enormously. The children get SO much out of seeing an author/illustrator live but being a small school, we can’t always cover the costs of individual events. The children absolutely loved it. Thank you so much.
- Please arrive at the venue at least 20 minutes before the start of the performance, so that you have enough time to find your seats and and use the bathroom. Our start times are strictly governed by the theatres that we work with and by the start and end times of the school day. If you are unavoidably delayed, please get in touch with your Children’s Bookshow contact as soon as possible.
- Don't forget! There will be a bookstall at this event and the opportunity after the performance for children to buy a book and have it signed by Patrick Benson.
- Depending on the time of the performance, you may want your children to bring a packed lunch. (Please contact the theatre directly to check if there is a suitable space.)
- Parking facilities vary from theatre to theatre; please check the theatre website for details.
- Please contact the theatre directly for risk assessment information.
Have any questions? Get in touch
Your contact for this performance is Julia Bayton, she will be happy to answer any queries you have:
- 07980 570975